Mike Parry declines Greater Mankato Area Chamber debate.
Curious about what this might mean, Bluestem went to the website for Greater Mankato Growth (as the Chamber calls itself). There wasn't anything about a pre-pimary debate on the site, but the group's Public Affairs Steering Committee had put together a page for the August 14 primary.
The group had posted a link under updates:
On Learn About the Candidates, we read:
Candidates participating in area city, county and state elections have been invited to complete an online questionnaire, with their responses appearing on this site exactly as they are submitted by the candidates.
The questionnaire includes biographic, as well as profile questions generated from a List of Characteristics that Greater Mankato Growth's Public Affairs Steering Committee agreed will represent the area well in areas impacting business and the overall vitality of the marketplace:
- Fiscal responsibility (efficient and effective use of financial resources)
- Local and regional business issue awareness, appreciation and advocacy (for the economic development of the Greater Mankato area)
- Ability and willingness to promote and participate in open communication among local governing bodies, businesses and community
- Conscientiousness in researching issues (data driven, diverse information)
- Visionary and independent thought process (open to diversity of viewpoints, with a willingness to listen respectfully, consider collaborative ideas and then make a decision)
- Resolute decision making while being responsive to a changing environment
- Capability to present and support ideas (strong communicator)Select a Race
Click on the link for US District 1 Representative and this menu appears:
Candidates for US District 1 Representative
Check the boxes of up to four candidates to see and compare their responses to profile questions.
To view a candidate's individual biographic information, click on their name.
All responses appear on this site exactly as they were submitted by the candidates, with no edits made.
There's a compare button. While the Quist campaign has completed the questionnaire with detailed answers (see image below), Parry has not yet returned the questionnaire.
Bluestem can not say for sure, but to judge from examples of these sorts of questionnaires that the editor has seen, Greater Mankato Growth probably had a date by which it asked the questionnaire to be returned.
Perhaps the Parry campaign was just too busy digging up fabulous 25 year old Quist material to answer the Mankato chamber's questions.
Screenshots: Quist's Facebook post (above); Screenshot of the Greater Mankato Growth primary candidate comparison for Quist and Parry (8:15 p.m. July 31, 2012).