« No Daudt in our mind: un-ruly weaker speaker shuts down latest Minnesota House session | Main | Modest proposals: residents in path of Zip Rail break out new-fashioned pitchforks & torches »

Mar 20, 2015


Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

Mike Worcester

As someone who lives a mere two blocks from the BNSF line that parallels US 12, we see lots of tanker cars. Is there an easy way to differentiate between those carrying oil and those transporting ethanol? (Should it matter?)

Jill Trescott

Mike, look for the red, diamond-shaped safety placard on the car. If the number is "1267," it's carrying crude oil. "1170" is ethanol, "3475" is ethanol/gas mixture, and "1230" is methanol. You can look up other DOT identifiers on-line.

The comments to this entry are closed.

My Other Accounts

Important Information

  • All of the statements, opinions, and views expressed on this site by Sally Jo Sorensen are solely her own, save when she attributes them to other sources.

    The opinions, statements, and views of contributing writers are their own.

    Sorensen, editor and proprietor of Bluestem Prairie, serves clients in the business and nonprofit sectors. While progressive in outlook, she does not caucus with any political party.


  • StatCounter

Become a Fan

Bluestem Tweets

    follow me on Twitter
    Blog powered by Typepad